Do I need NHS REC approval?

info icon To print your result with title and IRAS Project ID please enter your details below:

Title of your research:

IRAS Project ID (if available):

Your answers to the following questions indicate that you need NHS REC approval for sites in England and you may also need other approvals:

You have answered 'YES' to: Is your study research?

Question Set 1
You answered 'NO' to all of these questions:

  • Is your study a clinical trial of an investigational medicinal product?
  • Is your study one or more of the following: A non-CE marked medical device, or a device which has been modified or is being used outside of its CE mark intended purpose, and the study is conducted by or with the support of the manufacturer or another commercial company (including university spin-out company) to provide data for CE marking purposes?
  • Does your study involve exposure to any ionising radiation?
  • Does your study involve the processing of disclosable protected information on the Register of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority by researchers, without consent?

You answered 'England' to: Where is your study taking place?

Question Set 2

You have answered 'YES' to: Will your research involve the use of previously collected tissue or information from which the research team could identify individual past or present users of these services (adult and children's healthcare within the NHS and adult social care), either directly from that tissue or information, or from its combination with other tissue or information likely to come into their possession?

Applications must be made using the Integrated Research Application System (IRAS).

Follow this link to start again.

NOTE: If using Internet Explorer please use browser print function.